New Primavera Flower Tunic




Do you remember my post about New Primavera Square, in which I was talking about how I had started a poncho? Yes, I started a poncho, but somehow it turned out into a tunic. And I'm pretty happy with the result! This is my first tunic ever, which I made without any pattern, just playing around with the squares, using trial and error method, which works quite well for me. Almost all of my color combinations and designs are results of using this method. I'm not afraid of errors. I consider them just as indicators that something didn't work. Let's do it again, to see what will work! It's that simple.



For this tunic I used 100% cotton yarn "Golf" from St. George, and 3.5 mm crochet hook. The yarn is 125m/50g. The square measures approximately 12 x 12 cm (4.7" x 4.7")

My New Primavera granny square is almost the same as the old Primavera flower square. I just make some small changes, because I wanted a little bigger square, which in the end proved unnecessary, because the tunic turned out a little to big for me. If I used my old Primavera square it would probably suite me better. 


I made this crochet chart and written pattern in case you'd like to use the square for one of your own crochet projects. It's very easy and quick to make, and you can use it for variety of things, like blankets, pillows, bags, scarfs... And one more good thing. It looks good in two colors as well as in 4 colors (old Primavera Flower square)

Color A is gold, color B is brown

Begin with a magic ring.
Rnd 1: Color A
ch-4 in ring (counts as dc and ch-1), * dc in ring, ch-1; repeat from * 6 more times. Close the ring. Join with slip st to initial ch-4 space (8 dc)
Rnd 2: Color A
Make Beginning Popcorn, then ch-4; * Popcorn in next ch-1 space, chain-4; repeat from * six more times, join with slip stitch to Beginning Popcorn. (8 Popcorn stitches with ch-4 between each Popcorn)
Rnd 3: Color B
Join color B in any ch-4 spaces of the second round, make beginning Cluster (tr3tog - treble crochet three together), ch-3, tr3tog in same ch-4 space, ch-3, * (tr3tog, ch-3, tr3tog) in next ch-4 space, ch-3; Repeat from * 6 more times; Join with slip st to top of beginning Cluster (16 tr3tog with ch-3 between each tr3tog)
Rnd 4: Color B
Make slip st to next ch-3 space, ch-3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in same space, ch-1, * 3 dc in next ch-3 space, ch-1, (3 tr, ch-3, 3 tr) in next ch-3 space, ch-1, (3 dc in next space, ch-1) twice; repeat from * 2 more times, 3 dc in next space, ch-1, (3 tr, ch-3, 3 tr) in next space, ch-1, 3 dc in next space, ch-1, join with slip st to top of initial ch-3.
Rnd 5: Color B
Make slip st in 2 next dc, (sc in next ch-1 space, ch-5) twice, * (sc, ch-5, sc) in next ch-3 space of the corner, (ch-5, sc in next ch-1 space) four times, ch-5; Repeat from * 2 more times, (sc, ch-5, sc) in next ch-3 space, (ch-5, sc in next ch-1 space) twice, ch-5, join with slip st to first sc or make an invisible join.



When I joined all the squares together, the collar looked a little, I don't know, maybe boring, or somehow unfinished, so I added 6 additional rows. In that way I decreased the collar and added a little finishing touch, which in my opinion raised the collar and the whole tunic to a higher level. I made a crochet chart for the collar, and wrote the pattern, so who knows, maybe some of you will find it useful.



Row 1: sc in ch-5 space, ch-4
Row 2: sc, hdc, dc, ch-1, dc, hdc, sc in ch-4 space
Row 3: sc in ch-1 space, ch-3
Row 4: 5 sc in every ch-3 space
Row 5: sc in third sc, ch-4
Row 6: sc, hdc, dc, Picot-3, dc, hdc, sc in each ch-4 space

In case you aren't familiar with my "old" Primavera flower square, you can find the detailed step-by-step tutorial with lots of photographs here.

This is the end of the story about poncho, I mean, tunic. Till next story, have a beautiful, colorful and creative week!

Labels: , , ,